11.2.11

london dreaming


I had to write a list for a question on a friends blog on things I missed about London food. and became nostalgic.  In a place where food is known to be bland, my list was surprisingly long and easy to fill up.

Oh, I miss it, more than just the food. I really do.

My culinary "miss" list:
1.  Pork and leek sausages
2.  Tesco's Finest Angus Aberdeen Rib Eye steak and lots of other Tesco things. Oh, and Sainsbury's too!
3. Good sushi to go. Sometimes my friends and I would walk to the Japan Centre in Picadilly Circus to catch the 5pm 50% off sushie they were selling, which was still fresh, and in the summer we would take our boxes over to Green Park and chomp away on our yummy and still fresh, cheap sushi! :)
4.  Pret-a-Manger.
5.  THE CHEESES! What a wonderful selection.... When I was up for it, I'd walk to Whole Foods in Kensington and head straight to the huge, refrigerated cheese room and treat myself to a chunk of Manchego with quince jelly.
6.  Solero Exotic fruit Sorbet Ice Cream
7.  Healthy ready made meals, especially the ones from Waitrose. They were perfect for the nights I didn't have enough time to cook.
8.  Sunday Roasts at the local.
9.  Gastro pubs. I love the concept of hanging out at a somewhat contemporary pub with history to drink beers on tap but also be able to eat gastronomic, restaurant food in the same spot.
10.  I miss my favourite restaurants! Busaba Ethai, with three spots in Central London. My fave is their Thai Green Pepper Calamari. Belgo's Centrale in Covent Garden for AMAZING mussels by the pot, my local pub (The Queens Head in Brook Green) for last minute meals out, Wagamamas around the city for ramen cravings, and most importantly Chelsea Bun in Fulham for their English breakfasts! Oh the wonders of the English fry-ups....
11.  Good and  reasonably priced berries. Strawberries, rasperries, blueberries....
12.  Fresh bread that doesn't need to be put in the fridge.
13.  Magners Cider. Yes, it's not food but I still miss it.
14.  The chocolates. Galaxy especially. I can buy it here, but it's not on every corner shop. It's in one shop and three times the price.
15.  Smoked salmon, cream cheese and onion bagel from Oi Bagel.
Ah, so much more. but I think it's time to stop before I buy a ticket over to London to eat all of this.

Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails