5.12.10

that one moment


December 3 – Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)

I remember waking up that morning on the other island miles away from home. Hungover, upset and missing my family, I sat and had a ham and cheese omelette in a cafe around the corner from the hotel I was staying at with my friends. The air was cool and the sky was grey, with not one pocket of sunshine attempting to creep through the thick clouds.  It was quiet, the locals went about their business and I watched the island life creep past as they began their routine around me as I sat there with a pounding head eating my breakfast.

I went for a walk that took me to the end of the stretch of beach, a little girl and her mother were collecting shells, a toned woman was doing her yoga, an older man was jogging on the beach and me, well I was breathing in this moment that I knew would not last forever. The smell of the salty ocean was stronger than usual, the sand was damp and cold and not its usual powdery texture; it stuck to my legs as I sat watching the silver traces of light on the oceans surface. 

I don't know what it was that morning, whether it was the stillness and quietness of this grey morning on a tropical island or perhaps it was my emotional hungover state after a friends big birthday bash or perhaps it was the simple life that my eyes grasped that morning.

But in that moment, it all made sense and in that moment, I felt alive. 


Original post here.
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails